In line with government guidance, the expectation is that from September 2021, all children are expected to attend school full-time. We will work in close partnership with families to ensure that students attend school every day. We will offer support to those students who may find the transition back to full-time attendance more challenging. Regular attendance is not just a legal requirement, but essential for students to maximise their learning potential.
Our Education Welfare Officer will be on site on Mondays to provide additional support and guidance on matters affecting attendance.
There are practical steps that can be taken to support your child’s regular attendance and punctuality to school.
- Check that your child has the correct equipment and uniform each day
- Medical and dental appointments should be made outside of school hours wherever possible. If this is unavoidable, the school must be notified in advance with appropriate evidence of appointment provided. (GP/hospital letter, appointment card)
- Holidays should not be taken in term time. Requests for absence due to exceptional circumstances must be made in writing to the Headteacher. Unauthorised holidays may result in a fixed penalty notice being issued. The Headteacher will arrange a meeting with families where an unauthorised holiday is planned or has been taken.
- Contact your child’s form tutor or Head of Year if you are experiencing difficulties getting your child to attend school so that support can be given to you and your child.
- Ensure that the school is provided with up to date contact details. This includes working telephone number(s), email and home addresses.
- For absence caused by suspected infection of Covid-19, please refer to the Covid-19 reporting guidance.
- The school must be notified each morning of any absence before 8:30am. Notification can be made either by telephoning the Attendance Officer’s direct line: 020 8979 3399 ext 205 OR by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- The school is responsible for deciding if an absence can be authorised. Absence will NOT automatically be authorised if:
- An absence has not been reported
- Your child’s attendance is below 91%